Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Brad About Books: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Read from June 30 to July 1, 2013
CRESS
Expected Publication Date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (Macmillan)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 560 pages
Source: ALA
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #3

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't started this series (which, if you haven't, what are you doing? GET ON THAT.)

Read my reviews for previous novels in this series:

First off, let me say that the Lunar Chronicles is one of my favorite series ever. Guys, I'm talking near the top of the list. It's insanely fantastic. And Cress? It did not disappoint by any means. Everything I could have wanted from Cress was delivered on a shining platter - I can't rave about this book enough. Cress not only proves that Meyer's is a marvelous storyteller, it also shows how daring and far she took this story to make it her own. Cress is phenomenal in every sense of the word.

I have loved this series since day one, and I was so excited to dive into Cress. Cinder and Scarlet and the rest of the gang are back in this third installment, but of course, we are introduced to our new heroine, Cress. Cress is unlike any kind of protagonist I've ever read about. She's smart, clever, and cunning, yet she is hollow inside. It was so awesome to see the compare and contrast of those elements within Cress, and I absolutely adored her character. In fact, I think she's my favorite out of the three (soon to be four) thus far. I also loved how characters who were somewhat important in Cinder and Scarlet became VERY important in Cress. Each character has a vital role in the series, and Meyer definitely uses all of her characters and puts them to the test. All the characters evolve in one way or another in Cress, and I absolutely fell in love with this book. This is easily one of my favorite books ever

Speaking of putting characters to the test, wow. Marissa Meyer definitely wasn't afraid to have a little fun with her characters! The stakes are raised so high in Cress, and the characters are pushed past their limits - to see some characters either make it or break it was thrilling, and I couldn't put this beast of a book down. The Lunar Chronicles contains my favorite villain ever: Queen Levana. You don't even understand how much I love Queen Levana. She's so wickedly cruel, and Cress shined new light on her... I hate to love her, but I love to hate her! And thank goodness Cress wasn't a damsel in distress like how, in my opinion, the original Rapunzel is. She could do things for herself and speak her mind, and I loved that she wasn't your typical heroine. In fact, she's anything but typical. These characters are truly stunning. Honestly, I just loved everything about this third book. This series keeps getting better and better!

It is completely impossible to put this novel down. Though it looks like a monster, Meyer sweeps the reader up and entangles them in the world of Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, and to see the three heroines all join forces was exceptional. Right from page one, I was sucked into the book, and I couldn't put it down. From its fast-paced climatic moments to its revealing-secrets-cliffhangers that kill me inside, Cress has it all. Absorbing and enthralling, Cress is sure to knock you off your feet. One word: amazing. Another word: phenomenal.

Overall, Cress has still left its mark on me. A one of a kind gem full of action, mystery, and the perfect amount of romance and sci-fi mixed in with it. That ending killed me. I can't wait to see how it all concludes!

M Y    R A T I N G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad